Thursday 31 October 2013

Logo Development

After discussing possible names we came up with two we liked. These were 'The Central Lounge' and something along the lines of 'eight 2 three' or '8till3'. Here are my initial logo ideas for both names.






The Canteen staff preferred the 'eight 2 three' idea so I chose two of my initial logos to develop. Here are the developments.





I preferred the first set of developments over the roman numeral designs. I asked peers which one they liked best and did some more designs of that one deciding what font I wanted and if I should have an outline or not.




I then mac'd up my design and experimented with colours and backgrounds and decorative features.
 
Here is my design in black and white.
 
 
 Here my first experimentation of colour. I found the design on the left didn't help get away from the primary school vibe, however I was trying to use all the colours found in the refectory. I then developed this to a colour gradient through each letter. These colours don't give off a childish vibe but in general the design didn't stand out against the red wall. I then added a paint splash styled background in white to help it stand out, but this made the design look a bit childish still and not age appropriate for college students.
 
 
 
 
I then decided to experiment using just one colour. I chose orange as it sits next to red on the colour wheel and is therefore harmonious. I then developed this further by adding scanned in drawings of cutlery from the refectory. I found this also made it look a bit childish and no matter where I placed the cutlery, it didn't look in place and therefore looked unprofessional




I then went back to the use of lots of colour. To make it more urban and not childish I chose to use spray paint as the background behind the letters. Although I like this design I decided it wouldn't look good in black+white and therefore wouldn't be successful. In my last design I went back to the use of one colour. I used my basic colour theory notes and chose to use a light green as it compliments a dark red. I think this was very successful. Another benefit of green is it symbolises healthy, fresh food. Due to these positives I chose this design.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
We also had to come up with a strapline. Some of the ideas were:
  • take a pit stop
  • the hotspot
  • refuel & relax
  • the place to be
  • breakfast, brunch, lunch
I chose to use 'breakfast, brunch, lunch' as it is catchy and makes it clear that its for food because the name 'eight till three' doesn't suggest that. I chose to have the slogan in medium italic font so it matches the word 'till' in the logo. Here I experimented with lower case and capital letters and the placement of the strapline.



 




I chose the strapline placement whereby 'breakfast' is under 'eight' and 'brunch, lunch' is under 'three'.
 
 
 
 
Here I have drawn the logos in colour and black+white with and without the strapline. From the previous development I have changed the two steam sections of the logo to just an outline of green with white fill rather than just green fill. This is because there was to much green before and the steam blended in with the design. Now it stands out from the text but still matches the logo. I also think it looks more sophisticated. This is inspired by Bryan Patrick Todd as he often uses three colours in his designs and by making this change I have balanced out the amount of each colour. I am happy with how this logo looks in colour and in black and white. 

The font used is September Medium for the logo. September Medium Italic is used for the strapline and 'till' in the logo.



No comments:

Post a Comment