Thursday 21 November 2013

Illustrator Piece Inspired By David Carson



I made this design taking aspects of the three David Carson designs I analysed. I knew that David changed the size and position of letters mid-word and had a random kerned pattern. I decided to do the same, so added different sized spaces between each letter. I also made some letters bold, some regular and some lower case.

I created a background made from text like the design below on the left. This creates a nice effect, as its not quite a solid fill but is still dark and compact enough for white text to stand out on top of it. This is reverse type. From this design I also used the varied kerning pattern for example large spaces between some letters mid-word. I then used some aspects from the middle design below. From this design I used the contrast of text that shares the same baseline against text that floats. I made the word 'David' in line then for 'Carson' I moved the letters around like the letters 'bou' from 'bounce'. I also used the contrast of text colour. The design below has an imaginary vertical line through the letter 'u' where everything to one side is black and everything to the other side is white. I used a horizontal line at the baseline of 'David' where the text changes to black beneath it. From the design below on the right I took the dark grey fill of loops in the type. I added a grey fill the letter 'o'. Also I copied the use of no line spacing so the baseline of text connects with the mean line/ascending height of text on the next line.













This is the same design, but I experimented with colour.






No comments:

Post a Comment