Sunday 20 April 2014

Design Development - Final Storyboard

1. This was my first idea. It is a simple idea based on the word 'dunstable'. The idea is that when you zoom into the counter's, such as in the letters 'd', 'a', 'b' and 'e', there is an image of dunstable.





2. This was a small idea for transitions from photo's to illustrations and animation.




3. This was a small idea based on logo's of businesses and companies in Dunstable.





4. This was a small idea for transitions from photo's to illustrations and animation.



This is a type sheet where I experimented with 6 different fonts. I had chosen the idea above to develop and wanted a sketchy style font. All these fonts were from the site dafont.com. I chose the first font as it was the most popular with peers and was one of the easiest to read.





This was a final story board that I started for the idea I had chosen. Although I soon realised that I wouldn't be able to create this as it was too complex and also it featured animation rather than motion typography.







I then thought of another idea as I didn't like the previous ideas I had. I didn't want photos floating around on a CAD background which would look like its been made on Powerpoint by a child. I also couldn't have these complex transitions from a photo filling the screen, to a screen full of CAD illustrations and text like idea 4. I  came up with a compromise whereby photos on the screen have an outline around them as a sort of border between photo and CAD background. Although it sounds simple and almost identical to the Powerpoint made by a child, it works. The reason I found this worked was because in this new idea I wanted 4 photos next to each other but slightly overlapping as if they had been placed messily. This matched the sketchy type that I wanted to keep despite not using the idea it was originally picked for. However 4 photos in a messy overlapping collage didn't look good as there was nothing separating the photos and if any had similar colours they appeared to merge. I then added an outline to each photo inspired by Polaroid photos which stand out from each other when overlapping.

 I then did some more research to see how actual places are advertised as the motion graphic videos I had researched and analysed weren't advertising places. I wanted to see how they combined photos of the place being advertised with CAD solid fill backgrounds and illustrations on screen. The first thing that came to my mind was holiday resorts. I then searched 'Haven' as it was a holiday resort chain I knew of in England. I found these three videos:


In these videos Haven have used a border around the photos/videos that are on the CAD background. This was similar to what I had in mind. I then created a short story board of what I wanted although I didn't have the images or know what text I wanted to include.


I then came up with the text:

Be inspired by historic surroundings. 
(to be followed by 4 images of the Priory Church Gardens and Grove Gardens)
Go on a wild adventure.
(to be followed by 4 images of ZSL Whipsnade Zoo)
Have a round of golf on the finest of courses.
(to be followed by 4 images of Dunstable Downs Golf Course)
Shop till you drop on the high street.
(to be followed by 4 images of the Quadrant and high street)
Challenge your family to a game of bowling.
(to be followed by 4 images of GoBowling)
Relax or party at the grove.
(to be followed by 4 images of the Grove complex such as Cookies&Cream, the Theatre and Gary Coopers)
Get fit at a variety of facilities.
(to be followed by 4 images of Dunstable Leisure Centre)
Swing slide & spin at the play areas.
(to be followed by 4 images of Grove Gardens play area)
Admire the views as you glide through the skies.
(to be followed by 4 images of paragliders above Dunstable Downs)




For the images of these areas I took as many I could myself then got consent from a local photographer to use his images of Dunstable Downs paragliding and ZSL Whipsnade Zoo. I originally emailed ZSL Whipsnade Zoo for images of the zoo however they did not reply in time and when they did one of the images was portrait and would look out of place with every other image being landscape. I also got consent from Dunstable Downs Golf Club to use their high quality photos of the golf course.


Golf
 Request:

Response:






Paragliding
Request:
Response:
2nd Request:
2nd Response:




Zoo
Request:
Response:






 I then made my final story board. This includes CMYK colours, transition information, font information, music information and more. All this information means it is clear enough to be mac'd up by another designer.





No comments:

Post a Comment