Tuesday 4 February 2014

Poster Development

First I experimented with the shape of the actual poster with a quick rough design on. I varied between a standard rectangle with sharp edges to smooth curvy shapes and relevant shapes like a cloud.



I then went into a bit more detail on these shapes. For example roughly planning where arrows and text could go. From the start all my designs are similar (ie have the land on the right). This is because the water CYCLE actually goes clockwise around the page and is therefore much easier to understand.






Here is a more complex design that involves interaction as well as being just a poster. It involves children taking part in making the water cycle occur.








Here are some more detailed features on the poster.

(originally I chose to use 'Bangla Sangam MN' but later changed this to 'Myriad Pro')







 Here I experimented with fonts for the Heading/Subheadings. I chose to use the bottom font (Hobo Std) as it is easy to read, yet a bit quirky and not boring. Also it is sans serif making it easier to read for young children and is a curvy smooth font which is more appropriate for kids.






Here is the body copy that I created by combining all my researched definitions/explanations and putting it in my own words and simplifying it.


The sun heats the water. This turns it into water vapour, which is a gas we can’t see. The gas floats into the sky. This process is called...EVAPORATION


Water also escapes from plants due to the suns heat. This has a small contribution to evaporation. This process is called...TRANSPIRATION

The sky is cooler. This turns the water vapour back into a liquid making a cloud. This process is called...CONDENSATION

When the cloud is full of water, it is really heavy. This is when the water falls to the ground as rain or snow. This process is called...PRECIPITATION

Most of the rainfall flows off the surface, like down hills, until it reaches a stream, lake or the sea. This is called...SURFACE RUN-OFF

The rain that has fallen goes into lakes, streams and seas. This is known as...COLLECTION

However, some water soaks into the soil and underlying rock and finds its way back to the sea as ground water. This process is called... INFILTRATION






This is my final illustration for the background of the poster. I will mac this up for my final design and combine all the features seen above.




No comments:

Post a Comment